Sunday, July 26, 2026

In Theaters Movie Musical Review: ****^ Hadestown (2026)

 A telling of the Orpheus/Eurydice (Reeve Carney and Eva Noblezada) love story.  I should have known things would not turn out happy.  Hermes (André De Shields) the narrator kept sing "it's a sad song."  The story also recounts the love of Hades and Persephone (Patrick Page and Amber Gray).  Hades had a boot on his leg and determined this was not part of the character but an actor playing the part with an injury.  Hades has a very deep voice, and Orpheus is a high tenor.  I really like his song, which he must sing to win his love's release.  I did not like the ending, but it was sealed by the fates make this a true Greek Romance.  So we start the story again hoping for a better ending.  The music is haunting and very effective.  Hades, Hermes, Orpheus, Eurydice and Persephone are all very strong musically. 

Only in theaters for a week, but I highly recommend this movie.  This is an on stage production.  The floor of the stage plays several different tricks to facilitate traveling.  It goes around and up and down.  



No comments:

Post a Comment