Thursday, November 28, 2013

Music Review: *****Neil Diamond Greatest Hits


Neil Diamond Greatest Hits 1966-1990

In this CD I have found an old friend.  I visited the used C.D. store across the street from where I work, Streetlight C.D.  They have a store full of old classics, but in the interest I only purchased three to start off with.  Each of my purchases was an old friend, and none more than Neil Diamond’s hits.   This two-C.D. set offers 37 hit songs.  I must admit that there are a few I don’t care for, but for the most part I scored each song either four or five stars.  There are a couple favorites.
I was a fan of the Jazz Singer movie, and this has three songs from the movie.  My favorite is “Hello.”  This is the classic story of separated lovers.  There is also a song form Jonathon Seagull entitled “Be.”  Another classic.  Then of course there are the songs that I really love, that get to Diamond’s soul.  “I am… I said” which is delivered with lots of energy, and explores the life of being separated by work from the ones you love; your home, while making a home for yourself in new environs.  Similar to Sheri and I heading to California 20 years ago.  A friend of mine pointed out that to say, “I am I said, to no one there, and no one heard, not even the chair,” is sort of a silly lyric, but I love it anyway.  “Sweet Caroline” is another favorite.  Songs such as this just make you tingle inside with pleasure.  “Song Sung Blue” is also fun.  My only complaint is that some of the songs were recorded at a concert, and includes mumble jumble to get the crowd excited.  I like the original version of the songs.  A couple more favorites are “Longfellow Serenade” and “Holy Holy.”  Neil Diamond has a way of putting lots of energy into a few lyrics.  Another treat is a duet with Barbra Streisand, “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers Anymore.”  This collection mixes older songs with a few newer ones.  This song is wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment