Sunday, November 10, 2013

Book Review: John Steinbeck, The Short Novels of

I guess this is a review of the review, or a review of the introduction to this collection of Steinbeck books.
This book was published in 1953 by Viking Press.  It has six short novels, which I will review when I read them.  It also has an introduction by Joseph Henry Jackson which is the subject of this review.

The introductionist points out that critics have said many different things about John Steinbeck.  Is he a symbolist, realist, etc?  However he concludes his conversation quoting John Steinbeck, "My whole work drive has been aimed at making people understand each other."  This is a broad statement, and a worthy goal.  When he writes, he paints people, and leaves them open, so we can empathize with them.  I have been a reader of John Steinbeck since my youth.  I wonder how well John Steinbeck accomplished this goal with me.  Have I been more interested in others and their plight in life as a result of what I have read?  Did John Steinbeck stimulate my career choice of Social Work?  I enjoy reading Steinbeck, and I think this is because of the characters.  He also describes scenery, but it is his characters that makes his books.
I am going to enjoy rereading these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment