Sunday, August 4, 2013

***^The Scarlett Letter: Book Review


I should have read this classic novel long ago, but never did.  I knew it was about someone having to wear an "A" as a result of adultery.  However I wasn't familiar with the background, nor the actual story.  This is a true romance.  This is Nathaniel Hawthorne at his best.  This book was published in 1850. 

You know things just aren't going to work out in the end, and they don't.  However, in the priest making his confession, there is a twist to the ending which I was not expecting. 

One of the worries through out the book, is for the daughter, and fortunately this turns out well in the end.  The main character, never does find happiness with a man, but  she lives her life as best she can under the circumstances, and does find repentance.  I would recommend this book for someone studying American literature.  It is a true American classic

No comments:

Post a Comment