Sunday, August 18, 2013

Movie Review: *****Pride and Prejudice X 4

*****^Pride and Prejudice(1995) ****^(1940) *****(2005) *****(1980)

This is not  review in the traditional sense, but a comparison of four different versions of Pride and Prejudice.  These four include the first one I saw, which is the 1995 six tape series with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth in the lead roles.  I then saw the new movie, 2005, with Keira Knightley and Mathew Macfadyen in the lead roles.  I have recently been introduced to two new versions via Netflix.  One is 1980 BBC with Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul in the lead roles which is available through Instant Netflix. The other was a Netflix DVD, 1940 with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier.

First generally reviewing of these movies.  They are all classics, and the story is classic. The first version actually takes the most liberties with the story.  Lady DuBourg is in league with Mr. Darcy, rather than actually upset.  The 1980 BBC version is actually the most modest.  However the version I first saw was the Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth.  This one highlights the figures of the women in a very pleasing manner.  And the Keira Knightley has a more rural feel to it, with pigs on the screen, and Keira Knightley is always beautiful, but no miracle bra is going to do wonders, so this version is more modest as well.

Eliza  I love Jennifer Ehle in this role, and her walking every place.  However the character in the 1940 version, captures much more passion for me.  So I must vote for Greer Garson as my favorite Eliza.

Mr. Darcy  In similar fashion I must say Laurence Olivier captures the romance of the film in the most placing manner.  I was introduced to this role form Colin Firth, who is a great actor, and one of my favorite.  However the way this role is played by Laurence Olivier is classic.  

Mr. Bennet is a wonderful character, who actually grows and matures from the experiences with regards to Lydia.  I must admit I prefer the character from the 2005 movie best from Donald Sutherland, just based on the way he presents one of my favorite lines, "If any other men come to marry any my daughters, send them in; I am quite at my leisure." Classic!  His smile is just perfect.

Mr Bingley  I like the Mr. Bingley from the six tape series.  He is just a happy young man, no one can help but like him. Lydia is such a clueless wonder in this version I have to love her. Mrs Bennet with her loud laughing and talking takes the day in this version as well.  Mr Collins, the cousin who is set to entail the estate, is such a nerd and brown noser in this version he is funny.  And his wife, Charlotte, is played in just the perfect fashion. Kitty is so good lamenting at her father's rebuke in this version.  Her cry is just perfect. 

Mr Darcy's cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliams is most enjoyable in the 1940 version as the actor is in a kilt.  Fun.  Miss Jane Bennet is the most beautiful in the 1940 version.  The last scene where Mr. Bingley proposes, and she cries through it.  That is fun.

Mr. Bingley's sister is the most sinister in the 1940 version.  Mary is at her worse in such a  truly delightful way in the version as well.

The bottom line is I love this story, and each of these version is a pleasure to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment