Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Music Review: **Broadway in Love

This is an anthology of Broadway love songs produced in 2000 by BMG entertainment.
This group of songs is a mixed bag.  Some are too operetish for me, some don't make sense and some are very enjoyable.  There are fourteen songs, representing fourteen different musicals.  I was familiar with four of them, and those are the ones I enjoyed the most.
"Something Good" from Sound of Music was delightful.  I really enjoyed Rebecca Luker's voice.  I also enjoyed The Human Heart from "Once on this Island."  It reminded me of Mark's performance in this musical.  This is him after being hit by a car, and nursed back to health.  He is the rich aristocrat, who breaks the young lady's heart in the end.  "Some girls you marry, and some you love."
I also enjoyed the presentation from Jekyll and Hyde, "Love Has Come of Age."  This presentation was much nicer than any other I've seen, including the David Hasselhoff version.
Some of the songs I really enjoyed, that I know nothing about the musical are "I'd give it all for You" from Songs for a New World and "Whatever Time We Have" from Children of Eden.  I didn't care for Charles Nelson Reilly singing "it Only Takes a Moment" from Hello Dolly even though I was familiar with this show.  There was one song I thought was just stupid; "Sailing" from A New Brain.  The guy seems to be saying he enjoys sailing more than having a relationship.
Overall I would recommend this CD, but with some reservations.  Some of the songs are over done.

No comments:

Post a Comment