Friday, August 30, 2013

Music Review: ***Sweeney Todd in Concert

Sweeney Todd 2001,  This is a concert version which I got through Netflix DVD.  It stars George Hearn and Pati Lupone.  I was thinking that a concert version would take some of the brutality away.  I had previously watched the Johnnie Depp version, but it was just too drastic and bloody.  Still, even the music, with the vague references to violence and red lighting to portray the murders, left me with that same irritated feeling.  It is not to say this version didn’t have wonderful music.  Johanna is a beautiful song, but better in the reprise duet as the barber gets to sing of his lost daughter.  Patti Lupone and Neil Patrick Harris sing the song “Not While I'm Around.”  It is a beautiful song.  I also like the judge, the villain in this show, who comes to get his hair cut.  In the movie this is played by Alan Rickman  who also portrays Snape.  The bum bata bum song he sings while the barber is whistling is beautiful, and from there, they sing “Pretty Women.”
This concert has a lot to recommend it, but the violence of the story turned me away from really enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment