Saturday, August 3, 2013

Music Review: ***Gladys Knight, Before Me

This C.D. I checked out of the library this week and have enjoyed.  It is dated 2006.  Gladys explains the reason for the title.  "The songs that I did for this album were favorites of mine from yesterday.  As I was getting this music together, the title, BEFORE ME, just rang in my head.  I was moved to pay tribute to those glorious performers who came before me and paved the way for me to be a part of this industry."
This is a selection of jazz songs.  I enjoy jazz music, but it isn't what I normally listen to.  I can usually listen for a while before moving on to something else.  I must admit, I admire Jazz musicians because the chords seem so intricate.
On this album there are two lovely things, Gladys voice, and the band.  We are privileged to hear piano and guitar riffs, saxophone and trumpet solos, as well as an accomplished band in general.  Gladys explains that jazz music was part of her life since her high school days in Atlanta.  Some of my favorites on the C.D. are Stormy Weather, God Bless the Child and Good Morning Heartache. 
Gladys gives thanks,  "My most heartfelt thanks goes out to my Father in Heaven for this most precious gift of song.  And to my brother, Jesus Christ, for his sacrifice that I might live once again in the kingdom of heaven and further use by gifts and blessings to glorify them."  May we all have that same attitude, and I am grateful for talents such as Gladys' that make the world more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment