Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Music Review: The Very Best of Peter Paul and Mary

The Very Best of Peter Paul and Mary is an anthology album which includes much of the finer work.  These are my favorite:
04. If I Had a Hammer
05. Where Have All the Flowers Gone
I sang this song in Jr. High choir.  It is one of my favorite.  I remember the words a bit different.
06. Puff the Magic Dragon
08. This Land Is Your Land
09. Blowin' in the Wind
This is another of those songs we sang in Junior High, and then again in high school, a real choir version with parts.
14. The Times They Are A Changin'
A Bob Dylan song
16. Leaving on a Jet Plane
A John Denver song.
21. Wedding Song (There is Love)
this is one of my favorite.
He is now to be among you at the calling of your hearts
Rest assured this troubadour is acting on His part.
The union of your spirits, here, has caused Him to remain
For whenever two or more of you are gathered in His name
There is Love. There is Love.

Well, a man shall leave his mother and a woman leave her home
They shall travel on to where the two should be as one.
As it was in the beginning is now until the end
Woman draws a life from man and gives it back again.
And there is Love. There is Love.

Well, then what's to be the reason for becoming man and wife?
Is it Love that brings you here or Love that brings you life?
Or if loving is the answer, then who's the giving for?
Do you believe in something that you've never seen before?
Oh there's Love, oh there's Love.

Oh the marriage of your spirits here has caused Him to remain
For whenever two or more of you are gathered in His name
There is Love. Ah there's Love.
24. And When I Die
25. Weave Me the Sunshine  This one has a cool melody and rythym.
My only disappointment in preparing this I looked up Peter Paul and Mary.  Peter and Paul, Mary has passed away, asked the National Organization of Marriage to not play one of their songs at their rallies as their organization did not have the same as their activist values.  I was disappointed because I enjoy Peter Paul and Mary, and wonder why they would ask this.

No comments:

Post a Comment