Sunday, May 25, 2014

Music Review: John Denver: Timeless Songs 1

I have been listening to some pleasant tones from John Denver while I go about doing some other chores, like organizing all these pictures from my mom and dad.  This is available on You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veYcSUE-CUk
All of John Denver's song carry his dulcid voice.  However, some songs the lyrics hit home better than others.  A recurring theme is the simpleness of life in the country compared to the bustle of city life:
"Fly Away"

All of her days have gone soft and cloudy, all of her dreams have gone dry.
All of her nights have gone sad and shady, She's getting ready to fly.
Fly away, fly away, fly away.

Life in the city can make you crazy for sounds of the sand and the sea.
Life in a high-rise can make you hungry for things that you can't even see.
Fly away, fly away, fly away.

Rocky Mountain High
He was born in the summer of his 27th year
Coming home to a place he'd never been before
He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again
You might say he found a key for every door

When he first came to the mountains his life was far away
On the road and hanging by a song
But the string's already broken and he doesn't really care
It keeps changing fast and it don't last for long

But the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullabye
Rocky mountain high (Colorado)

Denver also sings about love in a very simple and direct way:
Sunshine on My Shoulders
Make me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water, looks so lovely.
Sunshine almost always makes me high
If I had a day, that I could give you
Id give to you, a day just like today
If I had a song, that I could sing for you.
I sing a song, to make you feel this way

Lady
Close your eyes, rest your weary mind
I promise, I will stay right here beside You
Today our Lives were joined, became entwined
I wish you could know how much I love You.

John Denver is a classic, who fortunately is preserved for us in his work.  However he left us much too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment