Friday, May 2, 2014

Music Review: ***Peter Paul and Mommy Too

This CD was released by Peter Paul in Mary in 1993 as a recording for children.  I do not think this is their forte.  Some of the songs just go into gobbledegook as the try to be funny.  Those songs don't work.  However, there are a couple of songs which make this CD worthwhile.  Puff the Magic Dragon is a song that works, with its story of the boy and the dragon, and his outgrowing the dragon as he gets older.  However the song I like the most from this CD is the "Garden Song."
Chorus:
Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow
All it takes is a rake and a hoe and a piece of fertile ground
Inch by inch, row by row someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Til the rain comes tumbling down

Pullin' weeds and pickin' stones
We are made of dreams and bones
I feel the need to grow my own cause the time is close at hand
Grain for grain, sun and rain I'll find my way in nature's chain
Tune my body and my brain to the music of the land

Chorus

Plant your rows straight and long
Temper them with prayer and song
Mother earth will keep you strong if you give her love and care
An old crow watching hungrily from his perch in yonder tree
In my garden I'm as free as that feathered thief up there

This song is beautiful, and almost makes it worth it to put up with the antics on some of the other songs.

They also strike a chord with "Somos el Barco", "Don't Ever Take Away Our Freedom" and "Pastures of Heaven."  Mary's alto quality is just beautiful to listen to, and Peter and Paul also have pleasant voices.  They work well together. 

The final song on this CD is another one of the special songs.  "We Shall Overcome" is a song of empowerment.  It came to signify the Civil Rights Movement.  These three sang the song on marches with Martin Luther King.  More recently other politicians have hijacked its message.  It is good to remind you that there is strength in numbers. 

We shall overcome, we shall overcome,
We shall overcome some day
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe we shall overcome some day

We shall all be free, we shall all be free,
We shall all be free some day
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe we shall overcome some day

We shall live in peace, we shall live in peace,
We shall live in peace some day
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe we shall overcome some day

No comments:

Post a Comment