Saturday, October 18, 2014

Movie Musical Review: Company (Sondheim)

This is the 2011 version of the musical Company which originally played Broadway in 1970.  The staging is different with the orchestra behind the actors on stage.  Neil Patrick Harris plays Robert, the 35 year old bachelor, whose friends are interested in his getting married.  The play is presented as a series of vignettes, with Robert interacting with his married friends as company.  He plays a smoke pot scene, I am on the wagon scene, we're getting a divorce scene.  Of note are Katie Finneran playing Amy, and sings the "Getting Married Today" song.  Robert, says marry me then, and that convinces her to go through with the wedding.  Patti Lupone plays Carol, the rich eccentric who proposes that they have an affair, and this gets Robert to think that maybe he should marry.  She sings Ladies Who Lunch, which is a look back over her life and marriage.  She gets this way when she drinks too much. 
Harris sings the concluding number, where he concludes that even with its flaws, marriage is the way to go, as then you are "alive."
Being Alive
ROBERT:
Somebody, hold me too close,
Somebody, hurt me too deep,
Somebody, sit in my chair
And ruin my sleep
And make me aware
Of being alive,
Being alive.

Somebody, need me too much,
Somebody, know me too well,
Somebody, pull me up short
And put me through hell
And give me support
For being alive,
Make me alive.

Make me confused,
Mock me with praise,
Let me be used,
Vary my days.
But alone is alone, not alive.

Somebody, crowd me with love,
Somebody, force me to care,
Somebody, make me come through,
I'll always be there,
As frightened as you,
To help us survive
Being alive,
Being alive,
Being alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment