Saturday, December 31, 2016

Book Review: The Sneetches And Other Stories

The Sneetches and Other Stories, Dr. Seuss, Random House, New York, 1961.
In this book are several stories about personalities.  In the story of the Sneetches, we have two groups of the same people, different only by one little star on their bellies, who are manipulated until they have no more money.  Sometimes it takes something like this for us to wise up.  In this case the Sneetches finally learned their lesson.
The Zax are prone to pride, and when the North-Going Zax and the South-Going Zax meet, neither is willing to step aside.  And so they are stuck even today.
I can relate to "Too Many Daves" about the Mrs. McCave who named her twenty-three sons Dave.  My brothers and I, father and grandfather all carry the name James, and sometimes it is a pain.  At the dental office I sit in my seat while they call for James, until I realize that is me.  Well they have similar problems at the McCave home, because when she calls for Dave they all come running and run her over.
The fourth story is "What Was I Scared Of?'  which I reviewed previously.  This is a story about tolerance for those who are different.  even though it may be fearful, if we can get past the fear we might discover a friend.  Click here for an animated version.


No comments:

Post a Comment