Monday, April 7, 2014

Music Review: Pop Legends Live: Herman Hermits starring Peter Noone (2005)

I really enjoyed Herman's Hermits growing up, and I still enjoy their music.  This DVD presentation which appeared on PBS has a short anthology of some of their work.  "Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good" is an up beat song to get your blood flowing.  They started with this, and then sang a cover "Wonderful World."  "Listen People" has a mellow, longing feel to it.  When Peter Noone sings, "Listen people to what I say
I say everybody's got to have their day' he is expressing the belief that everyone will have good days, and bad.   One of my most favorite Herman's Hermits song is "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter"  I just love the sound, with the British accent.  Noone made a point of this, teasing the rough R sound of the Cleveland audience as they sang with him.  "I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am" sounds like a party or drinking song.  This DVD special was topped off with "There's a Kind of Hush."  This is a mellow love song.  This song was later covered by "The Carpenters>"
So listen very carefully.
Closer now and you will see what I mean.
It isn't a dream.
The only sound that you will hear
Is when I whisper in your ear
I love you forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment