Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Music Review: ABBA ***Gold

As much as I want to like this album more, I just don't.  Maybe this explains why I didn't much care for the movie "Mamma Mia" either.  Some of the tunes have a pleasant beat and can get you into the music, but overall, for me, this album falls flat.  The enjoyable songs, just don't carry the entire album.  And even some of the songs I enjoyed while younger, just don't do it for me now.  I guess, as an older man, I am more concerned with lyrics than I use to be.  These lyrics are all focused on money, or it seems making fun of making a living.  "Money money money, must be funny in the rich man's world."  "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!"  Sounds like someone standing in line waiting for their share, but wanting someone else to provide the labor while they reap the benefit.  I was pleasantly surprised by one song, "Thank You for the Music."  This is a very nice thank you for the God given talent people are given.
  So I say
Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me

No comments:

Post a Comment