Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Book Review: Number the Stars

This book is written by Lois Lowry and is a Newberry Book.  I picked this book up because I was looking for something to read on the train.  I like short books.  I also like young adult literature and this fit the bill.  However after getting into this book, it became totally drawn in by the story.  Turns out this is historical fiction, which I also like. 
This is the story of a girl, Annemarie and her best friend, Ellen.  It takes place in Denmark, during the Nazi occupation of WWII.  Ellen and her family are Jewish.  When it is announced, with a couple days notice, that all of the Jews in Denmark are going to be relocated, these two families jump into action.  Ellen stays with Rosemarie, pretending to be her deceased sister, while Ellen’s parents are taken elsewhere to hide. 
This is the story of individuals who cared enough for each other to say “no” to the Nazis when they tried to expel the Jews.  It is also a story about a people who followed the same suit.  It tells a story I had never heard before, but is a true story.  It is also a story about bravery, and having to approach danger, even when you’re scared.
I recommend this book highly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment