Thursday, September 26, 2013

Musical Review: Your Heart Will Burn: Martin Handcart Company

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzilNOmROiB4MfNMjXFOmmY9JY78R_wIM

This is the musical I wrote and we performed in the Stevens Creek Ward over 10 years ago.  It tells the story of the Martin Handcart Company and several of my ancestors.  All my kids played parts, and one night Sheri took a part as a cast member had to be out of town.  Many people did lots different things to help.  Even the bishop came up with a sound dish to capture as much of the sound as he could with one microphone.
My honest impression is we were under rehearsed, and the direction could have been better.  I must admit this is the first show I had ever directed, and it shows.  I could have done better taking notes and sharing them.
Even with these lapses, the story comes through.  We follow Isaac Wardle, a convert to Mormonism, as he travels to Utah.  we also follow a young couple, and the Ashton family.  Tragedy hits the Ashton family on the journey.  You can access the whole musical one scene at a time with the above link.

No comments:

Post a Comment