Sunday, September 15, 2013

Book Review: Pride and Prejudice

Just finished reading Pride and Prejudice again.  This is a book that fascinates and entertains me.  From the opening paragraph, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife, " I was hooked.
Of course I have read the book before, and watched the movie countless times.  I find great enjoyment in the words, and the style of the words, and in the story.  The slow budding love between Darcy and Liza is classic.  “I am afraid, Mr. Darcy,” observed Miss Bingley in a half whisper, “that this adventure has rather affected your admiration of her fine eyes.”  “Not at all,” he replied; “they were brightened by the exercise.”
Liza's father, although sometimes brash in what he says, has a way of teasing his wife, and enjoying life at the same time.   “An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth.  From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents.  Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.”
And his pleasure after his two oldest daughters are engaged is high lighted in this line. “If any young men come for Mary or Kitty, send them in, for I am quite at leisure.”
Elizabeth teasing and chastises Mr. Darcy at the same time about his awkward social nature. “My fingers,” said Elizabeth, “do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many women’s do.  They have not the same force or rapidity, and do not produce the same expression.  But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault—because I will not take the trouble of practicing.  It is not that I do not believe my fingers as capable as any other woman’s of superior execution.”
Darcy's confession of love catches everyone off guard, especially Elizabeth Bennet.  “In vain I have struggled.  It will not do.  My feeling will not be repressed.  You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”
  Mr. Collins proclamation seems to be his feelings, maybe not Charlotte's.  “My dear Charlotte and I have but one mind and one way of thinking.  There is in everything a most remarkable resemblance of character and ideas between us.  We seem to have been designed for each other.”
After Elizabeth being to see things in a truer light, and comparing Mr. Darcy and Mr. Wickham she says to Jane, “This will not do,” said Elizabeth; “you never will be able to make both of them good for anything.  Take your choice, but you must be satisfied with only one.  There is but such a quantity of merit between them; just enough to make one good sort of man; and of late it has been shifting about pretty much.  For my part, I am inclined to believe it all Darcy’s; but you shall do as you choose.”
That Mr. Bingley would quit the neighborhood, without marrying her daughter puzzles Mrs. Bennet.  “Well, Lizzy,” said Mrs. Bennet one day, “what is your opinion now of this sad business of Jane’s?  For my part, I am determined never to speak of it again to anybody," even though she does and it is always on her mind. 
A good love story has to have its twists, and this book has more than its share, which leads to good entertainment.  I like the method of language, and the society, with its restrictions is intriguing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment