Thursday, September 5, 2013

Movie Review: *^Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Sweeney Todd has every thing you want to love a musical, talented performers, beautiful music an interesting story.  It just goes too far for me to recommend it.  I just don't get off on blood gushing out of someone's carotid artery.  In fact it makes me rather nauseous.  I really like Johnny Depp as the barber, Henlena Bonham Carter as the meat pie maker, and Alan Rickman as the judge.  For great theater, the scene between the judge and barber is just delicious.  "Pretty Women" is just beautiful.  "No one's going to harm you" is also well done.  I also love "Johanna."  One warning in watching the song on You Tube.  One version the barber sings as he slices throats.  Much better to watch the young lover (Jamie Campbell Bower) version as he sings to Johanna (Jayne Wisener).  This story ends like all good tragedies, with lots of death, of course there is plenty of death through out this movie.
So my analysis, beautiful music but too bloody to be palatable.  Do not get the movie, but listen to the songs, or watch them on You Tube but be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment