Thursday, September 12, 2013

Music Review: Neil Diamond: Hot August Night (To mmboe)


This is a two-album live recording of Neal Diamond 1972 concerts performed at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles.  He played ten sold-out concerts at the theater.  This album includes many Neal Diamond classics, as well as a few other fun songs.  I listened to it on You Tube. 

Some of the classics, "Son Sung Blue" which is a sing-along-song.  Others are "Shilo", "Sweet Caroline", "Holy, Holy", "Cracklin Rose", "And I am I Said."  However my favorite parts in listening were songs that never were very popular.  He had a set of almost children's humorous songs, "Porupine Pie" and "You're so Sweet".  He sang in Spanish with "Canta Libre" "Freedom's Song"; "I sing with my heart for your children and their children." 

He gets country, and funny in "Soggy Pretzels", "You were crying in your pretzels."  Someone is playing the steal country guitar.  He tells a country song story.  I think he may be making fun of country, but I'm not sure.

One thing is for sure, this double album shows Diamond's talents and versatility.  He is truly a performer, and is at his best here.

No comments:

Post a Comment