Sunday, September 1, 2013

Music Review: *****Sondheim: A Celebration at Carnegie Hall

This concert is beautiful.  I have gotten it through Netflix DVD. It is the 1992 concert.  This is the line up.
Overture: Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Jerry Hadley "Johanna" Eugene Perry, Herbert Perry "Pretty Women"  Sweeney Todd
Chorus line "Loveland" Follies
Jeanne Lehman"Get Married Today"  Mark Jacoby, Madeline Kahn,  "I'm not Getting Married Today" Company
Madeline Khan does an excellent job with this number.  She points thousand of words into a line, and makes the song fun. 
Liza Minnelli. Billie Stritch "Back in Business" Dick Tracy  Liza Minnelli brings some energy to the stage with this number.  Billie Stritch is on piano, and also sings.  The dancers join for lots of fun.
The Tonics "Good Thing Going" Merrily We Roll Along  Beaytiful tone and harmonies.
Dorothy Loudon "Losing My Mind" Follies  "You Could Drive a Person Crazy" Company  Loudon does a great job with character.  Her eyes say a million words, and I am totally convinced she is going crazy.
Harlam Boys Choir "Our Time"  Merrily We Roll Along
Betty Buckley "Children Will Listen" Into the Woods
Careful the things you say
Children will listen
Careful the things you do
Children will see and learn ...
Careful the wish you make
Wishes are children
Careful the path they take
Wishes come true,
Patty Lupone "Being Alive" Company
Bill Irwin, Karen Ziemba "Sooner or Later"  Dick Tracy  This starts as a comedic interlude, and quickly changes into a steamy dance as Ziemba sings and they both dance.
Patrick Cassidy, Victor Garber "The Ballad of Booth" Assassin  This song presents the thoughts of John Wilkes Booth, against the back drop of his being accused of being a nut.
Hunt me down, smear my name,
say I did it for the fame,
What I did was kill the man who killed my country.
Now the Southland will mend,
Now this bloody war can end,
Because someone slew th tyrant
Just as Brutus slew the tyrant- ...
Damn my soul if you must,
Let my body turn to dust,
Let it mingle with the ashes of the country.

Let them curse me to hell,
Leave it to history to tell:
What I did, I did well,
And I did it for my country.

Let them cry, "dirty traitor!"
They will understand it later-
The country is not what it was...
Daisy Eagan "Broadway Baby" Follies
Bernadette Peters "Not a Day Goes By" Merrily We Roll Along 
Harolyn Blackwell  "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" Sweeney Todd
Sixtet "Weekend in the Country"  Glen Close "Send in the Clowns"  A Little Night Music  Glen Close brings down the house with this one.  It is beautiful.
Don't you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want.

Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother, they're here.

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer,
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year.
Liza Minnelli "Old Friends" Merrily We Roll Along
Cast: "Sunday" Sunday in a Park with George

No comments:

Post a Comment