Friday, September 20, 2013

Music Review: **^Guys and Dolls, The 50th Anniversary Cast Recording

This recording is dated 2001.  It is presented by DRG Theater.  It stars Maurice Hines, Alexandra Foucard, Diane Sutherland and Brian Sutherland.  This was presented at Washington, D.C. Arena Stage.
Ashley Orton as Adelaide, Cupertino High School
I have seen a couple versions of this show, Utah State Extension in Vernal, and Cupertino High School.  I enjoy the music from this show.  Listening to the music is also enjoyable.  My favorite songs from this show are, "Take Back Your Mink", "Luck be a Lady", "Sit Down You're rocking the Boat" and "Sue Me".  The Movie version of Frank Sinatra singing "Sue Me" is beautiful.
This CD recording includes some bonus material from Frank Loesser who wrote the music and lyrics.  This includes Adelaide which was in the movie, and a couple other songs which were cut, as well as a different version of "Luck be a Lady".
This time listening to the music, I was most touched by "Mary the Man Today".  "Marry the man today, and change his ways tomorrow."  I think Sheri has been trying to change me for 27 years, and I am failing miserably.

No comments:

Post a Comment