Friday, July 18, 2014

Music Review: Three Dog Night: The Best of Three Dog Night (1982)

I can't say every song on this album is a classic, but there are enough to get me interested.  Most of their songs were written by others, and often were covers of songs others had done.  However they made much of the music popular, and had three number one hits, and many top 40 hits.  Their trademark is the clear vocals from the three men who formed the group, Danny Hutton, Chuck Negron and Cory Wells.  They recruited a band to back them up, and then history was made.  Each of three vocalist take turns singing lead (their three number one hits had different members singing lead) but the beauty is the harmonies that the make.  This set begins with "Joy to the World" their second number one.  Of course not the Christmas song, but this song I enjoyed as a lad, and it still moves me; although the lyrics hold something to be desired, the song has very good energy.  Their first number on was "Mama Told Me (Not to Come) but I enjoyed there other songs more than this.  "Old Fashioned Love Song" is in that classic status for me as well.  This time the lyrics match the music for a very pleasurable experience.  Shambala is another of my favorites.  I love the vocals in this song, however I'm not sure what Shambala is.  "Never Been to Spain" is another of my favorites.  It has a very good feel.  Three Dog Night confronted racism with "Black and White."  This song carries a lot of energy and charted at number one.  "Liar" wakes you up with the forte on liar.  "The Show Must Go On" has pretty circus music, but then the vocals are a bit too hard for my taste.  However this song has appeal; it charted at number four.  There first hit song is "One."  This song has always been one of my favorite.  "One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do.  Two is as bad as one, it's the loneliest number since the number one."  They finally arrive to "Celebrate" for their conclusion.  This song takes a while to get there, but when they sing over and over, "Celebrate, celebrate!  Dance to the music!" it is over the top.  I know this song brings the crowd to its feet.
This group has brought to me, much of the music that has had a positive influence in my life, either by keeping me entertained, and giving me thinks to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment