Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Music Review: Kenny Rogers, Back to the Well

Kenny Rogers, Back to the Well, Dreamcatcher Label, 2003.
This C.D. presents the beautiful voice of Kenny Rogers, singing, for the most part, some pretty forgettable songs.  One song that caught me was about a father’s love for his toddler, “Handprints on the Wall.”
The wait turned into hours,
Before you came my way.
The smile that filled a daddy's heart,
On that special day.
The moment left me speechless,
I didn't know what to say.
Then you took your first breath,
An' that took mine away.

Days go by so quickly;
Summer turns to fall.
Seems like only yesterday,
That you began to crawl.
So don't be afraid to take that step,
I'll catch you when you fall.
I don't mind if you leave behind,
A few handprints on the wall.

I can't describe this feeling,
Way down deep inside
"The Itsy-Bitsy Spider",
Was the first thing that we tried.
An' "Patty Cake, The Baker's Man,"
With your hands, so very small.
You could always stay this young,
And I wouldn't mind at all.
 
There are a couple of songs on the risqué side of the spectrum.  But one of these is enjoyable presenting Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers singing a duet, “Undercover”.  Dolly Parton wrote this song.  The CD concludes with a heartfelt song, “Love Like This” where Rogers sings of getting the passion back into a relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment