Saturday, June 28, 2014

Music Review: Seals and Croft: Down Home (1970)

This is the second album produced by Seals and Croft and all the songs were written by Jim Seals or Dash Croft.  This album continues to present the unique flavor of this musical duet group.  The mandolin gives and the voices of the singers give Seals and Croft their own unique flavor.  I have always enjoyed listening to them. 
This album had no stand out hits.  "Hand-me-down Shoe" has a very catchy tune and beat.  "Robin" is a song about a bird which precedes their later hit "Humming Bird."  There is a very nice piano part in "Gabriel Go on Home."  Today is probably my favorite of the songs on this album.  This album has a duet part that is so well mixed listening to it is very enjoyable.  The lyrics for this song are very poetic:

Today went so softly
Just faded away
Like the rain in the springtime
On that day, I met you, I met you, when I met you
Today went so quietly
I turned and it was gone
Like you, like me, it was lonely
It went on, it went on, it went on, it went on
Then a beautiful thing happened
And we were one
And all the world was
A beautiful face to be lost in
Today went so quickly, just a moment in time
Like the hours in springtime
When you were mine, you were mine
You were mine, you were mine
Then a beautiful thing happened
And we were one
And all the world was
A beautiful face to be lost in
Today, today

This album has a bit for everyone.  They sing country.  They even sing to a poisonous snake in "Cotton Mouth".

No comments:

Post a Comment