Monday, August 3, 2015

Music Review: Best of the Doobie Brothers: Live (1999)

 I have found myself humming and singing this music since I put this CD onto the computer and started playing it.  I could play this music over and over.  Some of this songs are what I grew up with; and I saw this group in concert when I was young.  Some of the enjoyable and familiar tunes are: "Listen to the Music", "Jesus is Just Alright", "What a Fool Believes", "Black Water" and "Long Train Running."  This music has a way to stick with you.  I especially love "Black Water" written by Pat Simmons.
Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me
Old black water, keep on rollin'
Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me
Yeah, keep on shinin' your light
Gonna make everything, pretty mama
Gonna make everything all right
And I ain't got no worries
'Cause I ain't in no hurry at all

And then the A' Capella part:
I'd like to hear some funky Dixieland
Pretty mama come and take me by the hand
By the hand, take me by the hand pretty mama
Come and dance with your daddy all night long
I want to honky tonk, honky tonk, honky tonk
With you all night long

This CD, where it is live, includes a couple of audience participation, and these places drag as the volume is less.   There music includes harmonica and violin along with the regular pieces of drum, guitar keyboard and bass.  I enjoy this type of music much more than what they are making today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment