Saturday, April 2, 2016

Stories I Like: Hansel and Gretel

Hansel & Gretel A Grimm Tale, Adapted by Joe Loesch illustrated by Kevin Menck, Dalmatian Press, Franklin, Tennessee, 2001.
I just read a 2001 version of the Hansel and Gretel story.  This was my favorite story growing up.  I loved my mother to tell this story; and then I retold it myself many times.  However this version is not true to the original I remember in my mind.  This story does not include an evil stepmother.  The children become lost in the woods because they wander too much when the play.  However they learn their lesson when they are unable to get home.  In this version they meet the witch with the house of candy.  They discover the witch's plot to eat them, and push her into the over and make their escape.  Lucky they find a chest of gold and take all they can carry in a couple potato bags and take it home with them so they will never be poor again.

No comments:

Post a Comment