Sunday, July 28, 2013

Movie Review: ****^Spiderwick Chronicles

I Found Spiderwick Chronicles (2008) among our personal family DVDs and realized I hadn't watched it; although I did read the book sometime ago.  I think the movie is very true to the book, and one think I had difficulty understanding in the book was the manipulation of time, which was much more clear in the movie.  The ogres and Mulgarath, (Nick Nolte) are just despicable, and their green blood is gross.  Freddie Highmore plays a dual roll of twin brothers.  (I was confused at first until I looked up the casting.  Their sister is portrayed by Sarah Bolger.  Jared, one of the twins, finds a book written by his great-great uncle after the move into the Spiderwick mansion.  There is a warning placed on the book to not read it under threat of death.  He reads anyway, and sets off a series of events with trolls and Mulgarath wanting the book, and willing to kill to get it.  The children's mother (Mary-Louise Parker) doesn't believe in the beasts, and thinks it is just her son's anger coming out.  Her son is angry because dad has left the family.  Spiderwick is very well done.  It is exciting, but also has good story, and characters with interesting powers and motivations.

No comments:

Post a Comment